Friday 19 June 2009

Toad in the Hole

Followers of this blog may have seen the Evesham Bread Oven entry for Thursday 14th May? This week I returned to the forest with the children to make and bake pitta bread in the oven.


The structure had dried out perfectly although the base bricks felt a little damp. Before building and lighting the fire I ran my hands around inside the cavern to see if the dampness would hinder the bake. My fingers brushed up against something cool and soft...and moving - seconds later a large toad (rather disgruntled from having been disturbed) crawled through the oven door and hopped into the undergrowth -phew, lucky I checked before firing!


So as well as rolling dough, baking and eating fresh pitta - the children were fortunate to experience a real live toad too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home